Friday 29 July 2011

Beauty Box... My Ten Favourite Beauty Items.

One's beauty regime is a very personal exercise, some people prefer the wash and go approach and others take more time on their overall look. Which ever one you are it is important to ensure you always feel good (at this point I could go into lecture mode whereby I emphasise the importance of a good cleanse, tone and moisturise routine, but I won't! That's self restraint for ya!) 

I have to admit I am a bit of a beauty product slut, I LOVE trying new things and the prettier the packaging the better... Yes, I am that sad, pathetic girly girl that the marketing companies target... "Yes, make that bottle of shampoo bright pink and it will fly off the shelves" they say with an evil laugh, and I must confess, it works!! That being said, I do carefully investigate each beauty buy to make sure that it will give me value for my money and also that it will do the job it purports to do and after some careful research, and trying a few duds along the way, here are my Top Ten Picks of the Moment .... doo do do doo (trumpet fanfare and all that jazz!) 

In no particular order... 

TEN - Schwarzkopf Extra Care Shampoo and Conditioner with Wild Rose Oil

 
Schwarzkopf Extra Care Shampoo

 Winter has really done a number on my hair, making it very dry and this shampoo and conditioner makes my hair really shiny and soft and with the rose oil, my hair smells great too. 

I wash my hair every day so I do need a shampoo and conditioner that is not going to be too damaging and this one is excellent, nevermind the fact that the bottles are absolutely gorgeous, total eye candy for your shower, they do the job and that's what counts! 



Maybelline Falsies


NINE - Maybelline False Lash Effect Mascara

We've all seen the ads, you know the ones with the model with such thick eyelashes on that she can barely lift her eyelids! They all promise us the covetd prize of lash perfection; thick, long, luscious lashes. Well my style divas I have to say that Maybelline's Falsies Mascara delivers on that promise. 

The brush is spoon shaped so it really gets into the curve of your lashes and adds volume, separates the lashes and lengthens them. I am an absolute masacar aficionado, always on the hunt for the perfect mascara (I spend more time on my lashes in the mornings than on ANYTHING ELSE! Fact!) and this mascara has consistently done the job. A definite must have in your make-up bags. 


EIGHT - MAC Fuschia Fix Lipbalm 

 
Quelle Horreur!! I am not a huge MAC fan, which as a style diva is a complete no no... Admittedly they have some gorgeous make-up but I have found it to either be too heavy or to not do the job it sets out to do (MAC mascara are you listening?!) BUT that being said, this lipbalm has been my best friend since September 2009 and I remember this with such clarity as it was the month of my best friend's wedding (no, not the movie, my actual best friends wedding) I bought the lip balm and have never looked back. There is simply nothing that can compare to this balm. 

It is soft and silky, it is the perfect rosebud pink, it moisturises my lips, has an SPF of 15 and lasts for 6 months! I am an obsessive lip balm re-applier, I hate having dry lips and even with my heavy handedness this lip balm lasts. It's a fantastic buy and one of my best beauty friends. 

SEVEN - St. Ives Triple Butters Body Wash (CreamyCoconut) 

St. Ives Body Wash
I do tend to chop and change body washes, depending on the mood I am in, some days you want to smell like vanilla and others you want to smell more fruity but this body wash is definitely one of the best I have ever used. 
The smell alone is enough to keep me coming back for more, that subtle scent of coconut that makes you feel as if you're on holiday on a tropical beach. Plus, it really is so moisturising that after you get out of the shower your skin feels soft and nourished. The real bitch about how good this is is that you can never find it in the shops as it's always sold out, so if you see it, grab it and give it a whirl, you'll love it, I promise!!

SIX - Garnier Body Lotion 

Garnier Body Lotion
 I am a bit strange with body lotions in that I like my skin to feel moisturised but I don't like my skin to feel clammy, this means that if the moisturiser is too thick then I throw it out the window. I have always used Nivea Sea Minerals as it is a thin, fast absorbing lotion, that is until I stumbled upon Garnier's Intensive Moisture Range. 

I love the honey one but there are enough flavours to choose from to make anyone happy and the lotion will certainly deliver on its promise, intense hydration and a long lasting feel. It really is a gorgeous body lotion, smells good, feels even better. I love discovering fantastic new beauty products and this is one of them! 

FIVE - Australis Make-Up Finishing Spritz

Make-Up Finishing Spritz
These days with such hectic lifestyles our make up is often the first victim of a busy day. By the end of the day, after much face rubbing, most make up has often disappeared and with time constraints it is hard to constantly keep re-applying. That is why I love this finishing spray (and most finishing products in general) because they really ensure a fresh face, all day. 

The Australis Finishing Spritz has rose water and aloe in it so it is soothing for the skin and is a great thing to have in your handbag to spray on throughout the day whenever you're feeling frazzled. For the fliers out there to decant some into a bottle and carry on board your flight will help you to look well rested and fresh when you step off the plane. 

You don't have to particularly use this product, I do because it is available but any spritzes, even water based sprays, will do the same job, and that is tried and tested advice! 

FOUR - Beckham Signature Summer for Women 

Signature Summer for Women
 My signature scent (yes we all need one!) is Emporio Armani Diamonds Intense, the most epically (I think I made this word up but it's a goody) beautiful fragrance EVER created. When I smell it I hear angels singing and when I wear it I feel like a supermodel; and that is what a good signature scent does. 

However, so as not to use all of my precious perfume in one month I do tend to have a few back-ups to wear every day. Here is a free piece of advice ladies: NEVER leave the house without scent, it is our most powerful weapon. Smell good and men will stop functioning and do, pretty much whatever we ask. Ok, not really but it's a good theory! 

My back up fragrance at the moment is Beckham's Signature Summer for Women, a gorgeous, light and oh so feminine fragrance that makes me think of Spring flowers. Well since the notes are mostly floral it's no wonder. For your top notes you have some water lily, freesia and violet. The heart is jasmine, Madonna Lily and frangipani and the base is vanilla, vetiver and musk. It is only an EDT (which is eau de toilette so typically doesn't have as much staying power as your eau de parfum) but I do notice at the end of the day, when I remove my scarf, I catch the last delicate wafts of this delicate fragrance, which always brings a smile to my face. 

THREE - Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Face Wash (With Pink Grapefruit Extract) 

Neutrogena Face Wash
 You would think at my age that break outs would be a thing of the past, hell no! But I have discovered Neutrogena's Face Wash, which works a treat and smells great to boot (and yes, it's pink and pretty!) 

The face wash lathers nicely, works well to remove most of my make-up, doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and itchy and seems to keep the break outs to a minimum, as well as my excellent toning and cleansing routine, drinking heaps of water, staying away from greasy foods etcetera and the list goes on. 

I love expensive facial products, who doesn't, they work, they last and they look good but not all of us can afford these products. Neutrogena is inexpensive, works as well and is endorsed by Hayden Pannettiere... 

TWO - Maybelline Hyper Diamonds Eye Shadow

Hyper Diamonds Eye Shadow
I am always on the look out for great eye shadow, I love using greens to complement my eyes and I love a golden shadow to add to the corners of my eyes for a look that is pure JLo glamour. 

Maybelline's latest eye shadow does just that, the greens are gorgeous, the texture is velvety and there is just enough glitter in there to make your eyes stand out without looking like you're just left a Vegas stage. As I mentioned earlier I am a fuss pot with my eyes and I always like to make sure I use great products on them in order to maximise the wow factor and I must say I am loving how this eye shadow is working for me. A great buy and a top beauty find. 

ONE - Confidence!! 

There is no picture for this and it is definitely not something you can buy but it is a complete beauty necessity in order to ALWAYS look your best. No matter what you're wearing, whether natural or flawlessly finished, if you don't have this key ingredient your look will flop. 
Love who you are my lovelies, good hair days, fat days, slouchy slob days; you are your own best friend so make sure you give yourself that pep talk in the morning that goes something like this "girlfriend, you are fabulous!" Smile, walk tall and take life by the b*lls! 

Thanks for stopping by! 
Nyika 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment